Revised June 2017
Ausmed Education Position Statement: Continuing Professional Development
Ausmed Education aims is to meet the continuing professional development (CPD) needs of nurses and midwives throughout their working lives. Our core principle is that education is the means to continual improvement in the healthcare of the community.
Ausmed Education supports the position that:
- Continuing professional development is a lifelong process, essential to the delivery of safe and effective healthcare by nurses and midwives in all practice settings. It is the means by which nurses and midwives will:
'maintain, improve and broaden their knowledge, expertise and competence, and develop the personal and professional qualities required throughout their professional lives' (Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia 2016).
- Nurses and midwives are individually accountable for their practice. They are responsible for their active participation in professional development to ensure that their knowledge, skills and abilities remain relevant to the technological, scientific and service changes that are occurring in healthcare and which affect their patients and clients. This enables community expectations to be met and professional and personal goals to be fulfilled.
The goal of Ausmed Education is to provide high quality, evidence-based and relevant nursing and midwifery education. In support of its position, Ausmed Education:
- Works within a continuous improvement environment to deliver a positive and effective learning experience for nurses and midwives seeking educational opportunities that support their professional development.
- 2. Develops its education programs within a standards framework for continuing nursing education that is designed to ensure its face-to-face seminars and online Learning Centre Video Learning Activities (VLAs):
- are properly planned, implemented and evaluated;
- deliver substantive and accessible professional learning experiences; and
- are evaluated to provide reflection and to ensure ongoing consistency and quality.
- Will continue to use advances in technology and research to improve the CPD learning environment to meet expectations about the level of integrity and quality of its education programs.
Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia, (2016), Registration standard: Continuing professional development. http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Registration-Standards/Continuing-professional-development.aspx