8:30am - Registration and Refreshments
Welcome and Introduction
The Glue in Healthcare Environments – The Importance of Administrative Staff
Ward clerks and administrative healthcare staff members are critical in a healthcare environment. They are the glue that keeps the hospital or clinic together. This session will explore frontline administration staff and their impact on a healthcare environment. It includes:
- How do ward clerks/admin staff provide organisational support?
- How does the role impact patient-care time, discharge, and patient safety?
- What are the responsibilities and scope of practice in this position?
Master of All Things?
In this session, we will explore your various roles. We will look at your areas of concern and the emerging challenges you face on a day-to-day basis. It includes:
- What are the most challenging interpersonal aspects of your work?
- Which type of interpersonal skills are you likely to require in the near and distant future to adequately fulfil your role?
10:30am - Morning Tea
All Alone Together? Working Semi-Independently in a Complex Healthcare Environment
Many work environments are becoming increasingly demanding and complex, leading to increased reliance on the ability of team members to self-manage. In this session, we will look at some of the challenges you face when working in this semi-independent position. Discussion group includes:
- What are the most important aspects of self-management in your role?
- Are there common themes across the group?
Chatty Staff or Workplace Gossip?
Gossiping is bad news and creates a situation where no one wins. Sometimes rumours grow to lies and small, even inadvertent, comments and opinions can create disunity or a lack of trust that may leave people feeling isolated and unhappy. This session will discuss the importance of staying out of workplace drama and how to maintain and set high standards when you believe people are splitting the team. In this session, you will discuss:
- Is gossip ever good?
- If you are the target of hostility and workplace gossip, what should you do?
- How can you easily manage a gossip situation?
- How can you not take home the stresses of workplace drama or issues?
1:00pm - Lunch and Networking
Emotional Intelligence – How to Make It Work for You!
Having the capacity to recognise your own emotions as you switch between moods is a great skill. Being able to use this awareness to guide your behaviour is even better. This session looks at the power of emotional intelligence and how you can make it work for you. It includes:
- Getting in touch with your emotional triggers
- How to draw on your emotional intelligence in a tough situation
Open Disclosure and When and How to Apologise
Apologising and open disclosure in healthcare settings is fraught with myths and problems about what you should, can and cannot say. This session discusses:
- What to do if a patient asks you about an untoward event caused by a health intervention
3:15pm - Afternoon Tea
Five Minutes Is All It Takes … Quickly Wind Down at the End of a Busy Day
Your health matters. Being highly stressed or anxious can have all sorts of untoward effects physically, emotionally, cognitively and in our relationships. Preen your immune system by learning how to rapidly unwind. This final session of day one will teach you useful techniques to calm yourself. It includes:
- Not just breathing in and breathing out … What is the formula that gives you maximum relaxation?
Review of Key Learning Outcomes
4:15pm - Close of Day One of Seminar