Viewing All Courses
Ausmed Education Learning Centre is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
The standards developed by the ANCC are the highest and most rigorous in the world, and this accreditation means that you can be sure that all nursing education available through The Learning Centre meets or exceeds these high standards. Ausmed Education's provider number is P0342. Learn more about ANCC accreditation.
This Video Learning Activity (VLA) reviews the different types of glucose-lowering medicines that are currently used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Biguanides and Sulfonylureas
- Alpha-glucosidase Inhibitor (AGI) and Thiazolidinediones (TZDs)
- Glucagon-like peptide 1 analogues (GLP-1s)
- Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 Inhibitors (DPP-4s)
- Sodium Glucose Transporter-2 Inhibitors (SGLT-2s)
- Where does that leave insulin?
This VLA will be of interest to all nurses and other healthcare professionals caring for individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Gestational Diabetes Mellitus
This Video Learning Activity (VLA) is designed to provide nurses, midwives and credentialed diabetes educators with up-to-date information on gestational diabetes (GDM) given several recent changes in management. This VLA will discuss predisposing factors for GDM, changes to treatment and diagnostic criteria, and how a diagnosis of GDM impacts subsequent pregnancies and ongoing health.
- Overview and Risk Factors
- Education and Future
This VLA is designed for nurses or midwives currently or intending to work with pregnant women with or at risk of developing gestational diabetes mellitus.
Diabetes Emergencies: Hyperglycaemia
This Video Learning Activity (VLA) will focus on high blood glucose levels in people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes, which can have a catastrophic impact on the individual’s health requiring immediate hospital intervention.
- Review of the pathogenesis of diabetes
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA)
- Hyperglycaemic Hyperosmolar State (HHS)
This VLA will be of interest to all nurses and midwives, and especially useful for credentialed diabetes educators.
This Video Learning Activity (VLA) will provide an update on insulin therapy, and the vital role insulin plays in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Classes of insulin
- Review of how carbohydrate intake impacts on glucose and insulin levels
- Modes and uses of insulin
- Administration of insulin via pump, pen and pre-drawn syringe
This VLA will be of interest to all nurses and other healthcare professionals who care for individuals with type 1 and type 2 diabetes who require insulin.