Living Dying Caring: Life and Death in a Nursing Home
This book, written from practical experience, offers reflections on relationships within residential aged care facilities. There is a special emphasis on supporting the lifestyle choices of residents and the facilitation of death with dignity at the time of a resident’s death. The stories presented are humorous, sad, moving, and insightful. All healthcare professionals working in residential aged care will be able to relate to, and benefit from, the stories within this text.
- Fresh insights together with practical implications for improved quality of care
- Numerous stories capturing the humorous, the sad, the poignant and the down-to-earth realities of living and dying in a nursing home
- Offers encouragement to all engaged in this rewarding work, to reflect and learn from their experience
- Finely illustrated with moving photographs of residents
- Written from practical experience; offering reflections on relationships within the nursing home, particularly at the time of a resident’s death
Author / Editor Biographies
Aged Care Palliative Care Consultant, RN, Dip Arts, B App Sci (adv.nsg) Grad Dip Geront. Nsg, B Theol, M Theol, PhD,FRCNA, FAAG
Dr Rosalie Hudson's varied nursing career is focused on aged care, dementia care and palliative care. As a consultant nurse educator, with qualifications in theology, she explores end-of-life issues for older people; as an author, teacher and associate professor with the University of Melbourne, she seeks to raise the profile of gerontic nursing. Rosalie has had twelve years of experience as a director of nursing of a 50-bed nursing home, as well as extensive experience in community nursing practice.
Jennifer Richmond��s first career was in nursing. In hindsight, she declares the highlight of her nursing years was a long association with Melbourne Citymission��s Harold McCracken House. During this time her creative partnership with Rosalie yielded a valued friendship and a number of nursing publications. At Harold McCracken House Jennifer worked with many extraordinary and gifted staff, one of whom is novelist Michel Faber (whose photographs appear in this book). After the privilege of an editing association with Ausmed Publications and a postgraduate qualification in editing and w...
Established in 1987, Ausmed Publications is the print publishing arm of Ausmed Education, a company is dedicated to producing high quality healthcare education in the form of: Seminars and Conferences, Online Resources, Video Learning Activities and Textbooks.