Loss, Grief and Bereavement
- Discusses the potential losses associated with various stages of the gynaecological cancer continuum
- Explains the 'grief work theory' and draws upon the physical, emotional and cognitive reactions related to grief as well as the risk factors that accompany it
- Defines bereavement and how to cope with it
Women with gynaecological cancer experience a range of challenges and losses. This chapter discusses the challenges of potential loss, grief, and bereavement faced by women with gynaecological cancer.
- Types of loss
- Losses at time of diagnosis; treatment; chronic illness; and terminal illness
- Factors affecting grief
- 'Grief work theory'
- Manifestations of grief
- Complicated grief
- Definition of bereavement
- Coping with bereavement