Spirituality - The Essence of Cancer Care
- Defines and introduces the notion of 'spirituality'
- Nurses guide to help their patient search for meaning
- Explanation of hope and how this leads to creating a will to live
- The importance and need for faith is discussed
- Suggestions for spiritual care are provided
- Case studies and patient examples are given to aid explanations
This chapter emphasises the appreciation of the role of spirituality and its practical application within the clinical domain. Ample evidence is given and referenced to support the claim that meeting a cancer patient's spiritual needs can also diminish the severity of their symptoms, thus reducing the need for prescribed therapies. It also guides nurses on the importance of spirituality for themselves as well as their patients.
- What is spirituality?
- Search for meaning
- The will to live
- Need for faith
- Suggestions for spiritual care