What is the Psychosocial Impact of Cancer?
- Defines cancer and treatment options available
- Explores the psychosocial impact cancer has on patients and the factors influencing how a patient will respond
- Common concerns for cancer are discussed
- Types of psychosocial support are identified and explained
This chapter guides health professionals through how to support a patient who has just been diagnosed with cancer. It lists different support groups and explains how to deal with various reactions of patients. The chapter also defines the psychosocial impact of cancer, the concerns that are brought with this and how to deal with these various concerns.
- Cancer, the disease: a refresher for health professionals
- Cancer treatment, prognosis and cancer related morbidity and mortality
- Why does a cancer diagnosis have such a dramatic impact?
- What is the psychosocial impact on patients?
- What factors influence how a patient will respond?
- What is the psychosocial impact on loved ones?
- The benefits of psychosocial support
- Common concerns across the disease continuum
- The role of the health professional
- Guiding principles of care
- Resources for health professionals and references