How to Build Relationships with Good Communication
- Explains the importance of good communication
- Aids all explanations with graphs, tables and resource sheets
- Provides case examples to further emphasise points made
- Discussion of communication difficulties and why they occur for the health professional, patient and family
- Suggested solutions for overcoming communication challenges
This chapter explores the necessity of good communication between health professionals and patient and family. It identifies common problems and guidance through solving such problems. It offers case examples, graphs and tables to aid all suggestions and problems described.
- The importance of good communication
- Does communication make a difference to patient care?
- Is communication mishandled?
- The communication network
- Filters operating within the communication network
- Why is communication difficult for the health professional?
- Overcoming challenges: helping health professionals to communicate
- Maintain and clean communication filters
- Communication skills and strategies
- Dealing with challenging situations
- Overcoming challenges: helping patients or family to communicate
- Help the patient or family to maintain and clean their communication filters
- Assisting communication with the health care team
- Decision aids
- Putting it all together
- Resources for health professionals and references
- Resource sheet 4.1 Communicating effectively with others
- Resource sheet 4.2 Coping with anger